Today’s the BIG day…

Bright and early, the tear off begins…

This crew makes quick work of it, and makes it look easy…

And, just like that, all of the old decking on this part of the roof is exposed…

I have to say, I’m SHOCKED that the old decking is still such good condition. I was totally expecting the valley to be a rotted mess…

They’ve almost finished shingle tear off of the last area…

This decking looks good, as well…

Better shot of the entire panel…

The rot I was expecting up the full rake, ended just a little bit beyond where I stopped tearing off. While the crew was busy tearing off I had gone down to the Home Depot and bought new decking. While it was a little bit more expense, it will help preserve the original decking, give the new shingles a nice flat base, plus it will resolve the issue of the empty space created between the fascia and the top of the crown moulding…

This other area, on the other side where the roof connects to the Main House, had some rot…

While the crew was starting work on the new decking, I was able to cut out the rot and replace it with a new piece of wood…

The new decking, beginning to get installed…

More new decking, incoming…

Also beginning new decking, on this side…

New decking completed on this side…

Two more panels completed…

Beginning to lay in the valley components…

New decking almost completed on this side…

Ice barrier installed…

Ice barrier and underlayment being installed…

Shingle work begins…

Shingling goes REALLY fast…

More shingling…

Shingling almost done on another panel…

Vents and ridge cap completed on this panel…

Nice straight valley…

Final vent and remaining ridge cap completed…

Fairly straight ridge cap…

Here’s the new roof along with the existing roof. Slightly different color, but hopefully no one else notices it…

Another shot of the new roof along with the existing roof. I really hate to say it, but I kinda like the color of the new shingles over the existing…

To sum it all up, this roofing project was going to be our summer project, and my sons were going to learn how to roof. We had been buying the supplies, since early spring, but, the weather has been SO unpredictable, and we’ve had so much going on, we just didn’t have the time to get started. I stumbled upon a local guy with a small roofing business that came highly recommended, had great pricing, and said he could have it done in one day.

Other than a few issues where I had to kinda step in and explain to his crew how I preferred things done (for example, lining up the new decking at the edge of the crown moulding), letting the old shingles pull the cable line down, breaking a basement window well cover, and trampling in our flower beds, they did a fantastic job. I can now place this project into the “completed” column, and have some much needed “peace of mind”…

Tags:

No responses yet

Leave a Reply