New header joist attached to the main house.
Removed the upper siding where the header joist will go on the west wall of the Servant’s Quarters.
Upon removing the siding, we found a lot of rotted wood.
Removal of some of the rotted out parts.
Some of the studs were so rotted, they were no longer attached to the top plate. Here, we’ve sistered in some new studs using some of the old lumber from the Breezeway roof joists.
The extent of the rotted out area.
View from inside the Servant’s Quarters showing the sistered studs.
Another view from inside the Servant’s Quarters showing the sistered studs.
We used some of the old Breezeway roof decking to replace the rotted out sheathing.
Another view of the replaced sheathing.
To install the header joist on the west wall of the Servant’s Quarters, we ran a line from the peak of the header joist attached to the main house. Once the line was level, we used that to position the new header joist. We should now have a completely level roof, from the Main House to the Servant’s Quarters.